Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chicken For Dinner

060309: Sorry. Sorry for yet another pelican photo. I couldn't help it! The pelican population has suddenly exploded overnight after a recent drop off. I suspect we are seeing returning parents with their young. It's hard to tell the difference between an adult and juvenile pelican as they are the same size.

Today as I sat and photographed the pelicans swarming the fishermen at the fish cleaning station I marveled at their focus & the bravery in their proximity. These birds wanted fish! (And look at that symmetry!) Donna, wife of Denny (cleaning fish), exclaimed the same and stated that she stood guard over their stringer in the pond above fish cleaning station for fear that the pelicans would take their stringer. I didn't doubt her...
Later today, Mary came into my office to get some quarters to do some late unplanned laundry. She laughingly told me that the pesky pelicans had taken their stringer of 6 fish from the pond and had eaten all but one fish off the stringer. She found the stringer and the one lone fish in the water off the shoreline and went wading in after it. I'm sure it was quite a scene during & after the stringer burglary. If I was there, I would have had my camera. And made you suffer through more pelican photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment