Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

010111: I really shouldn't be up and forming thoughts in my head right now since I only went to bed hours ago. We went out last night to celebrate the coming of the New Year with friends and family. We had a treacherous drive in the freezing weather.....600 feet down the road to their house! Great times at our old friends'/new neighbors' house! We got home near 1 am and hubby wanted to stay up and see the clock turn 1:11 on 1/1/11. I think my goofiness is rubbing off on him.
I awoke to a snow storm outside and quickly stepped out for a photo op of any fishermenwople on the lake. I came back in started developing a plan for my 2011 while thinking about the year 2010. These thoughts made me recall a story I had read about how the month of January got it's name. Let me share:
January is directly linked to Roman mythology, named after Janus, the god of the gates, doors, doorways, beginnings, endings and time; coming from the Latin word for door (ianua) – essentially meaning that January is the door to the year. His most prominent remnant in modern culture is his namesake, the month of January, which begins the new year. Most often he is depicted as having two heads, facing opposite directions; one head looks back at the last year while the other looks forward to the new, simultaneously into the future and the past.
How interesting that our modern day celebration of ringing in the New Year is linked to roman mythology?
Meanwhile, as I write, the snowstorm I awoke to has now turned into a S.N.O.W.S.T.O.R.M!!! And I know there are die hard people out there fishing, too. If it lightens up a little we might run the dogs out in the Park as they love the snow. Enjoy your day and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment