Friday, February 27, 2009

Fringe Benefits

022709: Self-employment is not for sissies. Overall it has to be good enough to put up with the sacrifices you make to be your own boss, and believe me there can be many sacrifices. Sometimes, when I'm feeling overwhelmed with the pressures of owning a business, I remind myself that my work clothes are a t-shirt, shorts and tennis shoes and my true "office" is the great outdoors here at Topaz Lake. If that doesn't fully snap me out of it, I'll remember my former career where I often didn't see the light of day because of the hours I worked, and I was seemingly stuck in endless meetings pushing paper. That will usually do the trick and turn my attitude around.

We were out in the Park this morning doing more clean-up and I couldn't help but notice the beautiful warm day. Only a few fisherman, that I could see, were out in their boats. When I saw them all converging towards each other, I thought of my former career and where I would be right now on a Friday at 11:00 am if I had stayed there? Yep, you guessed it: in a meeting.
I rather like being self-employed.

No comments:

Post a Comment