Tuesday, February 17, 2009

They Dodged a Bullet

021709: We didn't have snow fall overnight here at the lake, but apparently quite a bit has fallen in the hills (West side of Sierra Nevadas) over the last several storms. These storms have brought our water content in the snow pack to very near what it was last year.

This afternoon we were working when suddenly we saw the eagles diving and dodging above us, followed by a screech of a Red Tailed Hawk. That little bugger was chasing those eagles!

All the birds of prey were on the hunt all day long. Earlier in the day I was on the phone and walked by our patio window. Just then I saw the coots gather into a tight group about 15 ft off the shoreline and I knew a large bird was nearby. I grabbed my camera & stepped outside just in time to see the eagles fly by high overhead. In the photo: (L - R): 2 ducks, about 10 coots, & 2 eared grebes (first siting since they left last fall...)

No comments:

Post a Comment