Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Gift


060310:

I've watched them stare for hours as they scope the land.

I've seen them soar the skies for their next meal.

I've listened to them call to each other and it has sent chills down my spine.

I've smiled as they have taught their young to hunt the waters.

I've marveled at their patience.
I've been in awe of their fierceness.

I've stared into the eyes of one and felt I had been given a gift rarely given.

I've been amazed by their beauty and grace, and it never gets old.

The Bald Eagle is a majestic bird. It is our national bird. It is a protected bird under the Migratory Bird Treaty of 1918. It owns the land, the air and waters of Topaz.

I've watched these birds up close every winter. They have captured my attention, been the subject of my photos, and even after 10 years I am thrilled when I spy one in the skies above.

Today, I learned that one of the adult Bald Eagles was found dead beneath it's nest near the lake. Because of their status, there will be an investigation to determine it's cause of death. I pray that it was natural. Because I do not want to feel the anger I will feel should I learn otherwise.

Today, I mourned the loss of a skyward friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment