Saturday, April 18, 2009

Barn "Carport" Swallows

041809: I was a bit under the weather today. Too bad since it was such a nice day outside. Though sometime this afternoon, I had to venture outside because the Barn Swallows were being so chatty.

There are now 4 pairs of birds and through some recent research I have been able to identify the males from the females. This little one is a male, as evidenced by his golden feathers and longer tail. The females have light or cream colored feathers and have a shorter forked tail.

I tried to get an "in flight" photo but these little birds are fast and are a little wary of people right now. Hence I couldn't get too close to them. Towards the end of the summer they have become quite used to us so I will be able to get better photos of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment