Sunday, April 12, 2009

Bird Respite

041209: Today was a day of rest. Not just because of the holiday (Happy Easter!) but because it was necessary.

I ventured outside today to soak up the warm day. It was a perfect Sunday from sun up to sundown. I stayed outside for awhile, enjoying the antics of the Barn Swallows. Clearly the swallows weren't happy with my presence. I wasn't standing but 20 feet from my own home, and still is my home!

Having recently researched Barn Swallows I watched them come and go - out to the lake, back to garage - over and over. I identified 3 males and 2 females. The odd number caused a match of males to attempt to win the sole attention of the female. Obviously love is in the air and soon more adults will arrive and soon after many nests will appear filled with the tiniest of eggs. By the time they leave in the fall, there will be 30 or more birds. And behind they will leave me many memories and photos of the summer of 2009. And a lot of poop to clean up!

No comments:

Post a Comment