Sunday, April 19, 2009

Audible

041909: Busy, busy day today. The kind of day that whizzed by.... And at the end of the day I hadn't managed to pick up my camera once so I'm diving into the archives!

This is actually one of my favorite photos I have taken. It's the kind of photo that so much is going on in the photo, but in the same moment it's nearly colorless palate is so peaceful.
The photo was taken in January 18th, 2007 after weeks on end of bitterly (BITTERLY!) cold days that tortured the West coast states. Our Topaz temperatures ranged from -20 at night to a daytime high of 15. And after a succession of such (BITTERLY!) cold days the lake eventually froze over.
This photo was taken the first morning a thin sheet of ice appeared on the water. In the weeks following the ice subsequently grew to 5 inches thick solid across the entire lake. (More on that another time...) The darkened Canada geese, the ice, the steam rising off the water, the light dusting of snow, the Sweetwater Mtns, and the cottonwoods in the distance - all make for a beautiful morning. But what is missing for you is the sounds of this frozen morning. The crackling ice, the gentle noises of the geese, and even the sound of the still air all converged that morning. When I look at this photo, I not only see the beauty but I also hear it.
Maybe if you look at it long enough, you just might hear the sounds of this frozen morning, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment