Thursday, May 7, 2009

There Was a Fire One Day...

050709: I heard a tid-bit of news this morning. Today's date is a consecutive odd numbered date 5-7-9, one of only 6 to occur every century. I figured it out and there are three left this century....

On another note....

I'm not fond of fire. I don't have a firepit, fireplace or a desire to have either. I can live without it. And I am a fireman's daughter, too! But my feelings about fire solidified firmly as "not a fan of" after the brush fire we experienced on 7/14/2002 at Topaz Lake. Before then I could take it or leave it.

2002 was a summer season of intense, massive fires throughout California & the nation. The Gate Complex fire erupted and raged through our sleepy oasis and ravaged our hills & valley in a matter of two days. And that fire came on the heals of the Cannon fire in Walker, Ca (14 miles down the road) only 3 weeks earlier that had claimed the lives of three air tanker pilots. It was a devastating fire season. We survived relatively unscathed from the Gate Complex fire, thanks to all the area firefighters and the firefighters vacationing in our Park. And, more importantly, nobody was hurt. On that day I was asked by a newsman covering the fire how was it that so many firefighters from So. Cal. were staying in our Park? My mind was spinning with the complexity of the answer, but all I could say was "History, the Park has alot of history of firefighters."

So I'm thinking about fire right now because today we, and the extended Topaz Lake RV Park family and community, learned that one of our own was seriously injured in the Jesusita fire now burning in Santa Barbara, Ca. He is going to be alright, thank the Lord. But thoughts of him have been with me all day long. So to our friend, Ron, and his family, our prayers are with you and thoughts of quick healing are being sent your way. When you are ready, we look forward to having you back with your fishing rod in hand. (P.S. - the fishing is really, really good right now.)

Photo taken by the John Gibbs family 7/14/02.

No comments:

Post a Comment